Tuesday, August 5, 2008

In search of a connection

The neighbors' Internet has been down for the past day or so, which has made it interesting to get my stories e-mailed to the office. In fact, between the maintenance crew finishing the remodel of the duplex next door and the disabled Internet, I'm actually AT the office this afternoon. 

Regular readers will remember I'm actually hooked up to my neighbors' wireless with their BLESSING, I'm not stealing it! I talked to them at noon today and it's down for them too, but it's going to get fixed tonight.

This morning, though, I had to come to the office and put my last story in I wrote last night after the Internet died. Then when I finished a column my boss needed, I had to find somewhere in town to "hijack" a signal. This is where things get interesting – I went to the chamber of commerce where I'd been able to hook up before and it didn't work. So, I went out to the parks and rec building – I'd discovered Monday they have a free, public wireless signal, bless their hearts. 

It doesn't work from the parking lot, though, I discovered this morning! So I walked in with my laptop open, like the "Can you hear me now?" dude, and plopped down in the lobby. When the receptionist saw me I said, "Hi, I'm from the paper and I'm hear to hijack your wireless!" She laughed and said go right ahead! Their signal was working, thankfully, and I sent my story and went happily on my way :)

2 comments:

Kay said...

teeheehee about you searching for somewhere to find Internet access! Good for you for being bold enough to find somewhere and just do it.

Your neighbors sound very, very nice.

jenshrader said...

LOL yep, by the way, WENDY'S has wireless! Spent this afternoon there but it was fixed when I got home! Yay!